The ASATA Professional Programme (APP) is an online system that recognises travel agents’ expertise, qualifications and practical skills to achieve professional recognition by ASATA and ultimately, a professional designation of Travel Practitioner or Travel Advisor.
ASATA is the only local travel industry body to be accredited by the South African Qualifications Authority as a professional body. As such, it is the only association that can award a travel consultant a designation.
“ASATA’s continuous investment in the APP over the last eight years is evidence of ASATA’s commitment to developing and nurturing the skills growth, and highest service delivery standards in the South African travel and tourism industries,” says CEO Otto De Vries.
The importance of the APP
- Over time the APP helps to identify skills gaps in the industry, which will assist in planning training initiatives, workshops with suppliers and training providers.
- It can be used to draw statistical data based on levels of expertise, different demographics and identify emerging trends in the industry.
- Thus, it can target specific areas for appropriate workshops for training purposes.
- The APP promotes the travel industry as a career of choice for school leavers and the currently employed.
- It also helps grow a talent pool and retain professional individuals.